Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Day 24

Good-Bye to All That

A few left over the weekend, but the bulk of our Houghton in London group flew out Monday.  They stole away quietly, like mice.  On Tuesday the last of our students, Mary was gone.  That last night at the Highbury Center, site of so much activity since mid-September, must have been strangely quiet and lonely.

On Tuesday we began our own packing, took our last bus rides into London center, finished our tour of the National Gallery begun some time ago, checked for left or lost items at Highbury Center, and tried to come to terms with these last hours at our English home.

I had thought I had seen every new thing I was likely to see on this trip, but I was wrong.  As we returned to our high street on the 19 bus from Foyles book store, while stopped in traffic at Highbury Barn waiting for an opening to curb the bus, I spotted this truck.


Perhaps I am still feeling the responsibilities of benign parental responsibility, but when I saw this truck I had a split second of doubt.  When I encouraged them all to leave something of themselves in Islington, I had thought in terms of positive impressions, good memories, an investment in lives.  I trust you took my meaning.

If not, if like the quiet mice you left something behind, the city workers, prepared for anything apparently, are already on it.

Good-by London.  It has been priceless.

No comments:

Post a Comment